Dhal (Paruppu) Curry
Paruppu curry is a staple of any meal. It makes the perfect side dish to any meal. I’ve added cumin seeds to this, which is optional. Cumin seeds have many benefits to the heart and digestive systems, and is used in traditional Tamil home medicine to treat a variety of ailments.
1. Paruppu (split red lentils) – 1 cup
2. Onion – 1 medium sized, sliced thinly to fry
3. Curry Leaves – 5-8
4. Salt – to taste
5. Cumin Seeds – 1 tablespoon
6. Garlic – 4-5 cloves
7. Turmeric – 0.25 tablespoon
8. Green Chili – 1 slit in circles, optional
9. Peppercorns – 0.5 tablespoon or to taste
10. Milk or coconut milk – quarter cup or less depending on taste preference
1. Wash the lentils a few times in water to remove any residue.
2. In a pot, add lentils and water to cover the lentils. Add the turmeric, some salt and cumin seeds.
3. Cover and bring to a boil.
4. In a separate frying pan, fry the onions, garlic, curry leaves, some salt and green chilies until the onions turn very brown and no water is left in it. Once done frying set aside.
5. Once the lentils are done boiling, add some ground peppercorns, milk and stir (you can use coconut milk or regular milk).
6. Let it sit and add the fried mixture on top of the lentils and stir well. You can adjust for salt if needed.