Shrimp is a favourite for many people, but because it should not be consumed excessively because it can cause cholestrol. An important part of making shrimp is to make sure the shrimp is deveined on both sides. This removes the sand and impurities in the shrimp.
1. Shrimp, washed, deveined and cleaned with turmeric and set aside
2. Onions – 1 large equivalent diced or 10-15 shallots
3. Garlic – 8 cloves, crushed
4. Ginger – a small piece about 2 cm
5. A spring of cinnamon
6. Green chillies – 1, slivered
7. Rambai leaves – 2
8. Karambu -1 or 2
9. Curry leaves – a few
10. Cumin seeds – half teaspoon
11. Fenugreek seeds – quarter teaspoon
12. Fennel Seeds – quarter teaspoon
13. Mustard Seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
14. Peppercorns – a tablespoon
15. Jaffna Curry Powder
18. Tomatoes – 1 medium, diced
1. Clean, wash and devein shrimp.
2. Heat oil in a pot
3. When the oil is hot in the pan, add cinnamon stick, mustard seeds, rambai leaves and karambu.
4. Add onions, curry leaves and green chilies.
5. Add crushed garlic and ginger.
6. Grind black peppercorns and cumin seeds into a powder and add. Cook until until turn brown.
7. Add tomatoes, cover and cook until tomatoes turn soft on low heat.
8. Mix 2-3 tablespoons Jaffna curry powder with water to create a paste and add to pot on low heat.
9. Mix and cover.
10. Add fenugreek seeds and adjust for salt.
11. Add shrimp, mix, cover and cook.
12. Garnish with coriander leaves.